Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eliot Avenue Project Causing Immediate Problems

The city’s plan to reconstruct a portion of Eliot Avenue is not only starting a month late or is going to take twice as long as originally planned, but it is also causing some potential serious problems. Currently, the four-month project, to widen the avenue and add a 5-foot sidewalk on its north side between Mount Olivet Crescent and 67th Street is being conducted between the hours of 9pm and 6am instead of the initial proposal to close it until the project’s completion.

Many residents have been writing the Patriots to alert us that when the roadway is reopened, motor vehicles are faced with large potholes and uneven roads. Since I live on the south side of Middle Village and a few blocks west of 80th street, I do not travel that portion of Eliot Avenue often so I took a look for myself. I did notice that there were two large potholes as well as a metal object protruding from beneath the westbound roadway forcing cars to swerve in order to avoid these hazardous obstacles. I even observed westbound cars moving into the eastbound lane to save their wheel alignments.

This is precisely the reason why the project should have started on time and closed until completion. We here at the Patriots hope that in the future when the contractor reopens the roadway at 6am, it is safe for cars and pedestrians to use.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drove through there the other night and witnessed a dozen or so workers standing around drinking coffee. They appeared as though they had no idea what to do with themselves.

Anonymous said...

A sidewalk on the one side to make it safe would have been sufficient. In all the years I have driven through, I never seen anyone walking there anyway. Money should have been spent on something else. It was a small stretch that brought one back in time.
I hate change!

Anonymous said...

I used to walk and ride thru there and it was treacherous. I think that they should be a little more creative and started on the cemetary side, move the walls in, by expanding on both sides, knocking down the walls, putting in the sidewalks and then rebuilding the walls. By walking from the cemeatry side, it would have been easier.

In the very least it would have minimized the impact on the traffic flowing thru.


Mr. Mojo Risin